Google
 

After the flood comes the pestilance...

"First came the floods -- now the mosquitoes.
An explosion of pesky insects is pestering clean-up crews and just about anyone venturing outside in the waterlogged Midwest.
In some parts of Iowa there are 20 times the normal number, and in Chicago up to five times more than usual.
The good news is these are mostly floodwater mosquitoes, not the kind that usually carry West Nile virus and other diseases. But they are very hungry, and sometimes attack in swarms with a stinging bite." LINK

2 comments:

1patriot said...

I live near Madison, WI and the mosquitoes have been feasting on me every time I go to the garden. There are wooded areas on two sides of my home where they evidently hide while waiting for fresh blood to venture out. I installed two of the bug zappers at the edge of the woods. The next morning they were both so clogged with dead mosquitoes there were more trying to get at the lamp but weren't getting shocked because they electrodes were totally covered. The bugs had formed a mat!
I used a portable pressurized air tank to blow out the debris and almost instantly new arrivals began to offer their blood thirsty carcasses to the gods of electrocution. Shocking! (pun intended) This is the worst year for mosquitoes and I am miles from the nearest flooding. It must be horrible for those near the flooding. I spray my clothes with OFF before I put them on and use long sleeves even in the heat. I worry what the DEET might be doing to my body. It has been implicated in memory loss. At least on the clothing there is less chance of me absorbing it. I never put it on my skin.

Lexi said...

Oh, wow, that sounds HORRIBLE! Good luck with your fight against them! I know what you mean about the DEET- it's scary to think about your body absorbing those chemicals, but at the same time, the diseases the mosquitos can carry are scary too! Do you ever try that Skin-so-soft stuff? Smells awful but it seems to help- a little! I can't imagine how bad it is in the flooded areas if it's that bad up by you! Keep up the fight!